Thursday 14 May 2015

Double sin with 2 x horizontal stripes on plus-size body!


Plus size Kaffesoester in slimming striped outfit
































Every style bible, fashion blogger and and image consultant will tell you that horizontal stripes are a no go if you're plus size, and want to look slimmer. Well, have a look at my outfit!

The dress which has appeared several times  (here, here and here) on the blog, is a favourite. It never  makes me feel looking larger than I am. Quite the opposite in fact. You could argue that it's due to the small stripes...

Kaffesoester in old black and white striped CC dress
































...but that's not the case with the rain coat! Those stripes are anything but small :-)

Somehow there seems to be more rules for plus size people than regular sized - is that true? Or do I have a touch of paranoia?

With legs like tree trunks I shouldn't be wearing coloured and patterned tights either, and preferably discrete shoes that blend with the tights. Another two rules are broken here!!!

Kaffesoester in blue striped rain coat and CC dress
































So, the stripe rule is not to be obeyed at all costs. Like in every other aspect in life, open your eyes and judge for yourself! Do you see any problems with my shiny shoes and eye-catching tights?

This outfit was what I went to visit customers in, on a very wet day! My hair looks very strange, like it always does after rain.

The dress is by British brand CC, the bag is Danish, by Adax, and I'm wearing an old ring from Evans which is about the only place where I can buy ready made rings that fit me.

Kaffesoester's bag from Adax and ring from Evans


























On my way home, I got a bored waiting for the bus... And remembered I hadn't taken photos of my lovely (old) tights. They're not wet or dirty, just printed in a marble-pattern. No, I don't smoke! The gum wasn't me either.

Kaffesoester's legs in old, blue, marble-patterned tights
































Successfully breaking two style rules in one outfit was pleasing :-)  Breaking an additional two was a right triumph!

By chance I've managed to dress according to the theme on Spy Girl's 52 pick-me-up, so heading right over to link up!

Hope you all have a nice Thursday, with only one tiny Friday to go before the weekend :-D

See you soon!

Kaffesoester








20 comments:

  1. Those old rules are silly, I say. Wear stripes any day of the week, Tine, you look fabulous in them. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Patti :-) I will even look for more stripes to wear in future!

      Delete
  2. You know how I feel about those silly rules, you and stripes are made for each other. Tine you wear those blues so very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jill! Yes, I'm tired of the do's and don'ts too. We are creative persons, we have to wear what speaks to us!

      Delete
  3. I have to comment - as an image consultant:

    1. The stripes on the dress are narrow so act as a ladder (become more vertical) than a fence (draw the eye wide)

    2. Your legs are far from tree trunks - stop talking about them like that! They are lovely shapely legs that suit your frame.

    3. Personality style is more important than any guideline - there are no 'rules' just guidelines but it comes down to what you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog Imogen! I think the ladder explanation makes sense - and I'll do my best to spread the word among friends and elsewhere :-)

      I'm afraid my legs have been compared to telephone poles and tree trunks by family members (with better shaped legs, obviously) since childhood, and my legs ARE certainly abnormal :-( It can easily take me a decade to find a pair of boots that fit me properly. As it is one of my major body issues I'm planning a post on this subject.

      And last and most important - you're so right about the personality! However, in several books and in fashion magazines (at least in Denmark) you still see the same old recommendations, written by fashion journalists and editors, that are considered authorities in their field. They have enormous impact on many people. The result is that lots of women (at least in this country) cover their curves or wear clothes that are downright unflattering. Compared to most women here I dress very differently - and I think that's one reason I get so many comments, even from strangers in the street, about my style and my outfits.

      Delete
  4. The more (stripes) the merrier! Here we go with stripes, wahoo! You look gorgeous in this form hugging dress and vibrant blue - just gorgeous!! I need to find more colorful tights, they make colder season so much fun-er! Lovely post, Tine! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank again Dear Natalia! The tights are great yes, but I'm afraid they're only for our warm season!!! Even then they're not always sufficient :-( That's why I keep dreaming about Spain!

      Delete
  5. I love your attitude Tine!! And besides rules are meant to be broken. ;) love the blue monochrome look, blue becomes you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica! Funny how I always thought breaking the rules was a sign of an attitude problem :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh I forgot to mention the Adax bag, Ive just discovered this brand and boy do they have the coolest bags or what?? :) I would also loved to be in Copenhagen tonight cause there is a 50s party taking place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - and happy "National Dag"! Hope you had a bit of a party anyway :-D

      Delete
  7. I'm not much of an obeyer of rules, I think a personality and flair are far more important when it comes to choosing clothes. You look great in stripes, narrow or broad, and those marbled tights are fantastic.
    It's funny, I once wrote in a blog post in which I said I have wide hips, and received a couple of comments reprimanding me for self-criticism. As far as I was concerned, I wasn't being particularly critical of my body, just assessing it honestly. I think we are allowed to do that, and in a context of confident dressing and blogging, it's not a crime of self-hate to acknowledge parts of our body we like a little less than others. Legs, hips - they are only a part of the whole package of gorgeousness which is US! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Curtise! You're right - we don't have to love every part of our body equally. And even though I have issues it's not a sign of self-hate. And then again, I actually do hate my feet and legs! They're causing me so many problems, and always have, that they're limiting me in where I go and when - and of course what I wear. As I mentioned above, I'm going to do a post on this since it's such an important issue to me. But thank you again for your support Curtise :-)

      Delete
  8. First off, that jacket is very cool! A useful layer but still stylish. I'm not sure about rules but I have heard Betsey Johnson say that if you want to develop your personal style, just wear your favorite things. So to me that says where whatever we like! I love your dresses and think they all fit really well from the ones I've seen over the years ;) and I think that's whats more important than the patterns or colors. I too hate my feet and can only wear shoes with soft soles and orthotics. Ugh. They can ruin an otherwise good outfit.
    I love your expression of wanting to see a rainbow when you open your closet. You'd be bored if you looked in mine right now! Enjoy your mid week Tine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joni! I have pretty much lived in my rain coat as we have the worst spring weather in years! I'm even wearing my ill fitting wellies :-(
      Even if you don't have a rainbow in your closet I still think you have some lovely and great fitting pieces in there - I've seen that in your posts :-) Besides, a wardrobe is always a work in progress!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Tine! I think it's refreshing when people dress to suit their own style and forget the rules. And your bright colors are also refreshing and enlivening! The blue bag is gorgeous, and I also loved the bright pinks and reds in your previous post.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog about moving to Denmark. Maybe it's a possibility. We're almost certainly going to move back to Britain someday because of the better social programs, and I hope to visit Denmark again. I'll be sure to go to Torvehallerne - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Val! We will certainly meet for coffee then:-) It's funny how I've been so focused on collecting red, pink and green for my wardrobe, since so many people wear blue in Denmark - and then it's one of my best colours. After getting this rain coat I realise that I can stand out even i a commonly worn colour (I prefer to stand out :-D)

      Delete
  10. Regler er til for at blive brudt. Og jeg elsker, når jeg møder nogen der gør det. Og du gør det altid spændende. Og det fine ved det er, at jeg bliver så nysgerrige på alle de fine detaljer du har. Jeg kan rigtig godt lide striber både på den ene led og på den anden. Og den kjoler er god til dig. Det er blå også. Det er et friskt og spændende udtryk. Dejligt at blive inspireret - tak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Tine, I am not about rules, as you know. Everything you wear is fantastic and your legs ar perfection
    Tons of love
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete