Thursday 7 February 2013

More FABruary challenges - belt/jacket/red lips

Does it sound challenging to wear a belt? For most women: No, but for me: Yes! Why? A: I don't have a belt, B: My waist is so short there isn't space for a belt!

Did I give up? No, I put on one of the few dresses I have with a draw string. Is that cheating? Maybe, but it was the best I could come up with.



Isn't a draw string a sort of belt?







































I'm wearing all old items here, except for the necklace. It's a sale item from Sweden. The brand is Indiska, a place where the stylish and gorgeous Anna from Four Seasons One Wardrobe also shops every now and then.



Bone and wood necklace




















The necklace is made of bone and wood, or was it horn and wood? I do like the rustic style and the smooth shape. A great find at less than £ 5/ $ 8 / 49,- Skr. / 49,- Dkr. / 7 Euro / ?

The belt challenge was a tough one - so I was glad to wear a jacket the next day, as the much easier challenge of the day.



Amazing how the new scarf goes with so much!







































Usually I wear knits as an extra layer in winter. Jackets seem too heavy under a coat. Yesterday's challenge proved me wrong.

 It wasn't uncomfortable under the coat, and it was just as warm as a cardigan or a sweater. Of course it was totally office appropriate too, if anyone cares about that anymore!



Am I becoming too matchy-matchy?























Today the challenge was Red Lips - was that a challenge for me, at all, one might ask. Not really, no.

If you want to know, the lipstick is Ruby Woo by MAC. I've worn it often lately, it's definitely a favorite!



The Red lips challenge













Since the weather is really rotten again, I wore jeans two days in a row - and I might do a third day tomorrow!

I did pair my jeans with something completely different today - a cream lace top! It's fantastic soft and warm, so perfect on a cold day!



Silk, lace and red lips, very feminine in jeans!







































As an extra layer I'm wearing my almost new silk scarf. I think the pale colours were perfect since they didn't compete with the lipstick.



Strange hair, I know!






















Both my husband and I were late home from work, so we went out for sushi, which made our daughter jump with joy. It's so easy to be a good parent!

I would have liked to write a longer piece on the recent rape stories from India and South Africa. I'm so horrified by the fact that some men think it's okay to sexually mutilate and murder women.

I can't imagine any mother raising her son to become such a type of man, yet some men end up just like that.

What sort of life do these men have? Are they married? Do they have children? How do they raise their own children? How do they treat their parents? Do they have jobs? Are they educated?


The recent stories are what every mother fears - both how her daughter could end up, but also how her son could turn out.

Enough of the heavy stuff - If you want to take a look at the FABruary challenges ahead, head over to Imogen Lamport's Inside Out Styleblog.

See you all soon - have a happy Friday!



22 comments:

  1. You are so insightful, Tine, to wonder about the perpetrators of these horrible acts, as well as the victims. The problem of evil behavior is such a thorny one - does it come from the genes, or from witnessing violence, or being violated oneself? Worthy questions.

    You look just gorgeous in your feminine lace top, large scarf and red lips! An outfit I think I must try to reproduce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patti! I would be such an honor to see you in an outfit inspired by me!

      Delete
  2. I love your necklace in the first outfit, your jacket in the second one, and I love the lace top and scarf in the last one! That's a nice shade of lipstick, too, a nice soft red. I can't wear red because it usually looks too dark on me, but that one looks lighter without being pink. Guess I should check out MAC.

    On a serious note, I am constantly appalled by the way women are treated in some places. I can't imagine how it must feel not to have the freedom that we take for granted here. That attitude goes beyond the way men were raised - it's ignorance and superstition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Val! You're so right about the ignorance and superstition. Education really is the answer to so many things!

      Delete
  3. Ruby Woo? I almost bought that the other day, big splurge for me... Maybe now I'll go back and get it. It looks so great on you.
    I love you in the colours especially. Gorgeous!
    I think women are becoming empowered in these places of horrific crimes. I cheer wildly when they do fight back and win!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melanie! Empowering women almost always means a raise in living standards as well, another good reason to cheer on!

      Delete
  4. The silk scarf, red lips, lace and jeans look is great on you. Well done for facing a challenge or three. I don't wear much makeup or lipstick but I really like the shade you chose. I also am horrified at the crimes against women which have been in the media recently, I feel like I should shield my daughter from the news. I wonder about the mother's of these men and if their relationship had any bearing on the awful crimes being committed. There are so many factors in all of this, yet I think it is human nature to look for a reason as to why these things happen and to look for something to blame. Like Melanie I cheer loudly when women fight back. We all need to cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Penny-Rose! I took Karate lessons when I was young, and I've demanded that my daughter did the same recently.

      She only did it for a few months, but it's enough to give her a fighting chance, should anyone ever try anything.

      Delete
  5. Tine, very well done!
    I like each of your outfits. Again you have outwitted winter gorgeously. I particularly love the wrapped clothes and your lipstick. I have to check out whether I can get it here.

    About sexual assault and violence against women in India, Africa and even here I'm horrified. And I adore all women fighting against it, as the brave Gulabi Gang in India. The only small protection we can give your girls is good self-confidence and to tell and show them that they can and should defend themselves against each kind of infringement.
    Have a nice weekend, dear Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sabine! If you've decided on a particular colour of a MAC lipstick you may find it cheaper in UK. House of Fraser carries MAC, and they ship internationally.

      Delete
  6. Love each outfit, and they way you have styled them! I am also not a belt wearer, but really should look 'out-of-the-box' like you...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Judith! It was more like a lucky strike really! Glad you liked it though!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for those kind words Tine! Love your new necklace and the white/denim outfit. The last outfit looks expensive and classic, I think Nina Garcia would approve it. I have been wearing cardigans since November now by the exact same reason as you, but I have actually started to be a little tired of it. So I will soon show pics where I wear a knitted sweater instead, yes I know, I am very brave! Talking about being tired of wearing the same items often, as I hate to freeze I have worn my warmest winter coat everyday since November too, and as we got plenty of snow this week, I probably gonna wear it two more months! God have mercy with us! I suppose I should give a try wear a jacket beneath for some change, but I suppose there is no salvation from the winter coat, or what do you think? Have a great weekend my dear Tine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dear Anna! I think you should get a new winter coat! It's such an easy trick. Last year I wore my long black wool coat the whole winter. With the magenta one I bought in fall I have a choice, and I don't always look the same

      Think about the number of times you wear your coat every year (6-7 times a week for 5 months?). The joy a new coat will bring you is (almost) priceless, and it'll save the other one from being worn out too soon.

      Delete
  8. Goodness me, I love all three outfits! You rock colour so well and your ability to put together a great outfit has me in awe!
    The knee jerk reaction by the India government to the rape situation is ludicrous. Do you know that one state is actually making schoolgirls wear coats to travel on the bus? Like it's their fault a pervert wants to violate them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vix! I agree about the Indian government, which probably consists of men!

      I think the girls should be taught self defense. A friend of mine was in Afghanistan some time ago, teaching Judo to girls there. That seemed so much more intelligent than covering them up (like in so many other countries).

      What is it that makes it okay for men to behave like animals? Why is always the girls fault that a man can't behave?

      Are men not responsible human beings? Well no, not in India, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and all the other places where women have to cover up in order to be (reasonably) safe!

      I'm so thankful for living in a society that doesn't accept men's irresponsibility!

      Delete
  9. Your outfits are lovely, Tine. Of course a drawstring counts as a belt - a string one!
    That jacket always looks amazing, and the lace top with the jeans and beautiful scarf is a fabulous idea.
    You have the most perfect Cupid's bow, Ruby Woo suits you!
    As a parent of girls and a boy, it is my concern to talk to ALL of them about respect, safety and confidence. I want my girls to be safe and empowered, but I also want my son to know there is NOTHING powerful about misogyny.
    Have a lovely weekend, my friend. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Curtise! We are so lucky to be living in a peaceful, educated and developed part of the world.

      Not only are most parent doing a great job bringing up their children to live by democracy's rules and ways - our schools support this too.

      I know genes play a role too, but it must be minor one since these horrible gang rape cases occur much more often in less developed parts of the world.

      So, like I've said before, education and self defense is a big part of the solution!

      Delete
  10. Way to rise to the challenge! I love your greens, and the smooth shapes of the necklace in the first outfit, your magic scarf and red lips in the second, and those bright tips of the silk scarf with your lace top - and red lips! - in the third. Beautiful!

    You ask such wise and necessary and correct questions about a horrific situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amber! The bright tips of the scarf are roses, and one of the main reasons I bought this scarf!

      Delete
  11. So many looks and you did them all with perfection. Always with a gorgeous mix of colors. Love the photo with red lipstick. It's such a great color on you.

    Sexual violence is all too common and having worked with victims for many years, the scars are deep. Thank you for addressing this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much t you too Judith! The saddest thing is that these young women didn't even survive - they died because of the horrible torture that ended the gang rape.

      I never hear of a gang of women sexually mutilating and murdering a man.

      I wonder what would happen if such a thing ever took place!

      Delete